Photo courtesy of cocinartechile.blogspot.com
- ARROLLADO DE HUASO con SALSA DE AJI
- 2 kg Pork Shoulder
- 1 pigs skin of around 30 x 40 cm
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbs of good red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp freshly toasted and ground cumin
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp smoked spanish paprika
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black and white pepper-grind finer using pestle and mortar too.
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 shallots
- 1 tbsp chile sauce
500 grms mixed chiles with seeds like habanero,scotch bonnet,birds eye etc, a good mix between hot and medium chiles is a good start.
1 head garlic,peeled
lemon peel from one lemon
orange peel from one orange
1tbsp demerara sugar
sea salt to taste
red wine vinegar
Place in tray for oven the chiles seasoned with sea salt,ground black pepper,fresh oregano and rapeseed oil,mix well.
cook in oven 220 C until charred
Place roasted chiles in pot and fry with chopped garlic and aromatic peels ,for around 5 mins in medium heat.
Put heat up to max and add the sugar and vinegar-pour vinegar enough to cover about one cm above chiles,bring to boil.
Once boiled, reduce heat to minimum and cook for 30 minutes.
Let cool,blitz with blender adjust seasoning and reserve.
This sauce will be applied to pig once it is cooked.
- Cut the Pork shoulder lengthwise in 6 strips season and marinade with all the spices,vinegar and garlic for 24 hours in the fridge.
- Lay the skin flat and place in one side of the skin all the pigs meaty strips as they are when they come out of the marinade,do not pat dry or shake excess.
- Roll the skin over the strips making sure it is really tight,squeeze hard with hands as you are rolling and then tie with string.If you have too much skin ,that it is overlapping too much, just cut it off.Same thing at the ends of the roll
- It should resemble a rolled pork shoulder but with the strips of meat in the middle,tight and neat.
- Season with sea salt and pepper and rub allover with rapeseed oil.
- Place the pork shoulder roll inside a cooking plastic bag adding 3 bay leafs and 2 tbsp rapeseed oil,garlic clove and 4 chunky sliced shallots.eliminate all air and close tight.Place this bag inside a pressure cooker with enough water to cover bag and cook at medium heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Take off fire and let cool down in pot,once is cold,take bag with the pig out and put in fridge until all the juice is transformed into jelly.About 12 hours is a good time or overnight.
- Once the jelly is hard, take out of bag and clean off all the jelly from the pig.
- Rub all over the chile sauce to your liking and leave to marinade at least 12 hours before serving.
- TO SERVE
- cut slices around 2.5 cms.one or two slices per person will do.Accompany with a nice tomato salsa,pickled onions and green leaves,artisan bread and a good beer !
- you can also place a little pot of the chile sauce for extra heat.
- Variation : pan fry or grill the slices and serve with mash potatos and pickled hot cabbage,hot as in heat,like a shukrut.